Sunday, April 5, 2009

Prodigal

Sometimes I wonder if you would take me back
Or if you would spit me out, turn your back on me and command I leave,
Disgusted by my audacity to claim your heritage
Sickened by the nerve to finally come home and expect a party.

Sometimes I wonder if you think of me as a foreigner;
A child who left, by choice, the sanctuary of your embrace.

Would you look at me?
Would you embrace me?
Would I be welcome?

Or have I shamed you?
Have I shamed you by not coming back in all these years?
Have I shamed you by allowing my accent to change?
Have I shamed you by making friends who are like family in this place?

Or have I made you proud as an ambassador of your offspring?

Africa, would you let me in, if I came home tonight?

5 comments:

Bonnie said...

This prose brought tears to my eyes!! Thank you for widening my world view with your eloquent insight.

tjidzani said...

You widen my world view in so many ways Lady Bonz!

2nga said...

wow!

Unknown said...

Really deep..

Unknown said...

Really deep..